Ebola outbreak death toll rises to 80 as containment efforts intensify

An Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has triggered an urgent scramble by medical teams, after a delayed diagnosis and rapid spread raised fears among health officials. The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern yesterday, warning that the risk of wider cross-border transmission had increased after two cases were confirmed in Kampala, the capital of neighbouring Uganda. In recent weeks, the outbreak is believed to have killed about 80…

Trump says US attack on Iran paused to allow talks

Facing mounting pressure over a war that has rattled global oil markets, US President ⁠Donald Trump said he has halted a planned strike on Iran to leave room for negotiations, after Tehran delivered a fresh peace proposal to Washington. Mr Trump said he had ordered the US military to stand down for now, writing that "we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an…

Trump warns Iran that ‘clock is ticking’ on peace deal

With diplomacy losing momentum and the war now more than two months old, US President Donald Trump has issued a stark warning to Iran, declaring that the "clock is ticking" on efforts to secure an end to the conflict. Writing on social media, Mr Trump warned Iran's leadership that failure to move swiftly toward a peace agreement would bring consequences, saying the country would be left with nothing if no deal was reached. The message followed a conversation between the US President and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin…

WHO explains why the Ebola emergency is considered high risk

The World Health Organization on Sunday sounded its highest international alarm over an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda, declaring it a public health emergency of international concern. The agency said the outbreak, driven by the Bundibugyo strain of the virus, does not qualify as a pandemic emergency. Even so, it warned that countries sharing land borders with the DRC face a high risk of further spread. The Department of Foreign Affairs has long maintained a "Do Not Travel" advisory for…

Somali cabinet sets priorities for new constitution implementation and election reform

Monday May 18, 2026 Mogadishu (AX) — Somalia’s Cabinet on Sunday examined a roadmap for putting the country’s new federal constitution into effect from 2026 to 2029, even as the government pushed ahead with reforms that prominent opposition figures have rejected. Prime Minister Hamza Abdi Barre chaired the meeting in Mogadishu, where ministers discussed constitutional implementation, one-person, one-vote elections, government regulations, international agreements and the approval of national policy measures. The Ministry of…

Israel detains president’s sister among people aboard ship

At least six Irish citizens, including Dr Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly, were aboard an aid flotilla detained by Israel, according to organisers. They said the vessels were intercepted about 70 nautical miles off Cyprus. The Global Sumud Flotilla said contact has been lost with the boats that were stopped. The group has shared videos of Dr Connolly and five others that appear to have been recorded before their detention. "I am deeply honoured to be part of this flotilla - the largest one so far."…

Saudi Arabia intercepts 3 drones after they entered from Iraq

Rania AbushamalaMonday May 18, 2026 Saudi Arabia said on Sunday evening that its air defenses had intercepted and destroyed three drones after they crossed into the kingdom’s airspace from Iraq. Defense Ministry spokesman Turki al-Maliki said the drones were downed on Sunday morning after entering Saudi airspace from Iraqi territory. Maliki stressed that the kingdom “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.” Saudi Arabia “will take and implement all necessary operational measures to respond to any…

Rwandan genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga dies in custody

Felicien Kabuga, long branded one of the world’s most-wanted fugitives and a central suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide, has died in custody at 93, the UN International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals confirmed. Prosecutors accused Kabuga of using his wealth and influence to encourage and finance the killings that swept Rwanda between April and June 1994, when Hutu extremists murdered more than 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus in just 100 days. After more than two decades on the run, he was arrested in France…

US and Nigeria Escalate Airstrikes Following Daesh Activity

U.S. and Nigerian forces have intensified their counterterrorism efforts in northeastern Nigeria, conducting a second wave of strategic airstrikes against Daesh terrorists in the Lake Chad Basin. This escalation follows a high-profile joint operation that successfully eliminated a senior leader of the group, according to U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) on Monday. On Sunday, targeted airstrikes hit confirmed Daesh West Africa Province positions. AFRICOM stated that the targets were identified through thorough intelligence…

U.S. and Nigeria Conduct Joint Airstrikes Against Militants

In a significant escalation of military efforts, the U.S. and Nigerian forces have launched new airstrikes against militant groups in northern Nigeria, occurring shortly after the announcement regarding the elimination of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a prominent figure within these insurgent factions. According to a recent statement from U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM), the airstrikes were executed on Sunday and specifically targeted ISIS militants. Notably, there were no reported casualties among either U.S. or Nigerian military…