Starmer’s government returns to Westminster amid leadership challenge

Wes Streeting has said he plans to challenge Keir Starmer for the Labour Party leadership if a contest is triggered

World Abdiwahab Ahmed May 18, 2026 3 min read
Article text size

A fresh row over Brexit has flared as Keir Starmer’s government prepares to return to Westminster, exposing divisions among the contenders positioning themselves to replace him.

Wes Streeting, who stepped down as health secretary last week, indicated he wants Britain to rejoin the EU as he declared he would enter any Labour leadership race.

- Advertisement -

Allies of Andy Burnham are said to be enraged by Mr Streeting’s move, with the Times reporting they see it as a calculated effort to thrust Brexit back to the forefront in the leave-backing constituency of Makerfield, where the Greater Manchester Mayor is hoping to run for Parliament.

Over the weekend, Mr Burnham appeared keen to soften focus on his own past backing for rejoining the bloc as he embarked on a string of media appearances.

Wes Streeting has said he plans to challenge Keir Starmer for the Labour Party leadership if a contest is triggered

Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy criticised her former colleague, Mr Streeting, for putting Europe at the heart of his pitch to replace the Labour leader, calling the approach “odd”.

“If rejoining the EU is the answer, then essentially what we’re saying to people is, ‘life was fine in 2015, we just need to go back there’,” added Ms Nandy, who is regarded as a political ally of the Greater Manchester mayor.

Reform UK, currently in second place in Makerfield, is preparing to seize on Mr Burnham’s earlier support for rejoining the EU as activists canvass voters in the constituency.

Several outlets reported that Nigel Farage had labelled the Greater Manchester Mayor “open borders Burnham”, in a sign that the Reform leader intends to focus on what any future return to EU membership could mean for immigration into the UK.

“Andy Burnham’s position raises serious questions. At a time when millions of voters are demanding control of our borders, he continues to advocate re-joining a European project built around the free movement of 500 million people,” Mr Farage told the Daily Express.

Mr Starmer, who is reported to have spent the weekend at Chequers, his country residence, is said to be weighing privately whether to fight any attempt to remove him, despite publicly maintaining that he would do so.

Speaking to broadcasters yesterday morning, Ms Nandy appeared to edge away from the government’s insistence that Mr Starmer would take on his challengers, telling the BBC: “It’s a very personal decision for him.”

She later added: “So, I wouldn’t write off the prime minister, but I would just say that this is a very personal decision.

“He’s got to make that decision himself.”

Read more: Why Britain has soured on its cautious prime minister