Israeli strikes hit areas in eastern and southern Lebanon

Lebanese authorities say Israeli attacks since the war began have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon, among them more than 400 since the truce took effect on 17 April.

World Abdiwahab Ahmed May 18, 2026 2 min read
Article text size

Fresh Israeli strikes shook eastern and southern Lebanon, state media said, underscoring the strain on a ceasefire that remains in place only tenuously, while a Hezbollah official dismissed Lebanon’s talks with Israel as a “dead-end”.

According to the state-run National News Agency (NNA), two Israeli strikes struck the town of Sohmor in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa Valley, while additional attacks were reported across the south of the country.

- Advertisement -

Lebanese authorities say Israeli attacks since the war began have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon, among them more than 400 since the truce took effect on 17 April.

The latest bombardment followed a third round of talks in Washington between Israeli and Lebanese envoys, where both sides agreed to prolong the ceasefire.

“The direct negotiations that the authorities in Lebanon have conducted with the Israeli enemy have… led them down a dead-end path that will result in nothing but one concession after another,” Hezbollah MP Hussein Hajj Hassan said this morning.

“Neither they nor anyone else will be able to carry out what the enemy wants, especially when it comes to the issue of disarming the resistance,” he said, adding that the authorities are bringing the country to “very big predicaments”.

A day earlier, Hezbollah said it had hit a military target in northern Israel after previously announcing several operations against Israeli forces in southern Lebanon.

Israeli troops entered southern Lebanon during the latest war and continue to hold territory near the frontier separating the two countries.