Real Salt Lake’s ‘Magical’ Mindset Impresses Mastroeni in Showdown with Seattle Sounders

Pablo Mastroeni feels that Real Salt Lake’s resilient spirit has earned them a reputation as masters of comebacks, though he hopes for a smoother game against the Seattle Sounders this Wednesday.

Real Salt Lake rallied from a 3-0 deficit to tie 3-3 with FC Dallas last Saturday, and previously rebounded from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits to defeat the Colorado Rapids 5-3 a week earlier.

Mastroeni’s squad remains undefeated in 11 league matches and leads the Western Conference standings by four points as they prepare to face the improving Sounders midweek.

“It’s not surprising to see the team fighting back from tough situations,” said Mastroeni. “The magic happens when everyone is on the same page, showcasing the strength of the team’s mentality.”

Seattle recently secured consecutive 2-1 victories over Phoenix Rising in the U.S. Open Cup and St. Louis City in MLS, boosting their chances of making it to the playoffs after a slow start to the season.

Despite some positive momentum, Seattle’s head coach Brian Schmetzer acknowledges the challenge posed by Real Salt Lake and recognizes the need for a strong performance in their upcoming matchup.

Star player Jordan Morris has scored in back-to-back regular-season games, a streak not seen since early last season, while Real Salt Lake’s top goal-scorer Cristian Arango leads the league with 13 goals this season.

The match is expected to be an intense battle, with Real Salt Lake holding a 36.6% chance of winning, Seattle Sounders at 35.6%, and a 27.8% chance of a draw.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More