Investigation into Prince Andrew to include sexual misconduct allegations

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was questioned under caution for several hours by detectives after his arrest at his Norfolk home in February, which came after the US Department of Justice released millions of documents connected to the late paedophile financier...

World Abdiwahab Ahmed May 22, 2026 3 min read
Article text size

Britain’s police inquiry into former prince Andrew is expected to be lengthy and complicated, senior officers have said, following his arrest earlier this year on suspicion of misconduct in public office — an offence that can encompass sexual impropriety.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was questioned under caution for several hours by detectives after his arrest at his Norfolk home in February, which came after the US Department of Justice released millions of documents connected to the late paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

- Advertisement -

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, has consistently denied any wrongdoing linked to Epstein and has previously said he regrets the friendship. He has not spoken publicly since his arrest.

Officers are examining claims that a woman was brought to an address in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes, after a lawyer acting for the alleged victim told the BBC she had been sent to Britain by Epstein for a sexual encounter with the former prince.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor seen leaving Aylsham Police Station in February

“In ‌terms of Epstein victims and survivors, we hope that anyone with relevant information will come forward and I really want to stress that our door is open whenever a victim survivor is ready to engage with us. We’re ready for you at whatever point that may be,” Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said.

At the centre of the ‌investigation is the former prince’s position as special representative for ⁠trade and investment between 2001 and 2011, with emails released by the DOJ appearing to indicate he shared sensitive information with Epstein.

But misconduct in public office — an offence carrying a maximum sentence of life imprisonment — is broad in scope and can cover serious wrongdoing ranging from the disclosure of confidential information to corruption and sexual misconduct.

“The investigation is by necessity hugely thorough and will take time,” Mr Wright told reporters. “It’s not going to be a quick investigation by any means.”

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor held the role of the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment from 2001 until 2011, stepping down amid controversy surrounding his relationship with Epstein.

The investigation is likely to confront a number of legal hurdles, including whether Mr Mountbatten-Windsor can be shown to have held a public office at the time of the alleged conduct — a point that remains unclear in law.

However, it is understood that even if that threshold is not met, the force would continue to pursue any evidence pointing to other separate offences.

A specialist team of experienced investigators is working on the case and remains in regular contact with prosecutors for guidance.

Detectives have formally asked the United States Department of Justice for the original versions of the Epstein files, but no material has yet been provided.

Additional reporting PA