WHO Warns of Significant Regional Risk for Ebola Spread

The WHO has characterized the Ebola outbreak as a public health emergency of international scope, warranting a cohesive global response. On Tuesday, the organization highlighted its worries over the "scale and speed" at which the outbreak is spreading.

WHO Warns of Significant Regional Risk for Ebola Spread
Somalia Balaleti May 21, 2026 3 min read
Article text size

The World Health Organization has issued a stark warning that the Ebola outbreak poses a significant risk at both national and regional levels in Congo and Uganda. However, the global threat remains low.

Amidst growing concerns, the leader of the WHO team in Congo has cautioned that the outbreak, which has resulted in over 130 suspected deaths, could extend for at least two more months as efforts to control the situation intensify.

- Advertisement -

The WHO has characterized the Ebola outbreak as a public health emergency of international scope, warranting a cohesive global response. On Tuesday, the organization highlighted its worries over the “scale and speed” at which the outbreak is spreading.

In the eastern region of Congo, locals have observed a surge in the prices of face masks and disinfectants, following the emergence of a rare strain of Ebola, the Bundibugyo virus.

The virus initially spread undetected for weeks after the first known fatality. During this period, health experts were testing for a more common Ebola strain, which tested negative. No approved treatments or vaccines currently exist for the Bundibugyo virus.

As of now, 51 cases have been confirmed across Congo’s northern regions of Ituri and North Kivu, with two additional cases in Uganda, stated WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday. Additionally, there are 139 suspected deaths and nearly 600 potential cases, he mentioned.

“The epidemic’s scope is far broader than initially thought,” Ghebreyesus noted. “We anticipate these numbers to rise.”

Congo is preparing to receive shipments from the United States and the UK of an experimental vaccine designed for various Ebola strains, announced Jean-Jacques Muyembe, a virologist at the National Institute of Biomedical Research, on Tuesday.

“We will administer the vaccine and monitor who develops symptoms,” he explained.

In Bunia, the site of the initial death, schools and churches were still operational on Wednesday, and some residents were seen wearing masks. Locals reported that masks have become scarce, and the cost of disinfectants, previously 2,500 Congolese francs ($1), has climbed to 10,000 francs ($4.4).

“It’s truly distressing,” shared Bunia resident Justin Ndasi. “We’ve already faced a security crisis, and now Ebola is here. We must protect ourselves.

Trish Newport, emergency program manager at Doctors Without Borders, communicated on social media that her team in Bunia identified suspected cases over the weekend at Salama hospital, albeit without an isolation ward. Attempts to transfer patients to other health facilities were futile.

“Every facility we contacted was already full with suspected cases,” she reported. “This illustrates the dire situation.”

In Mongbwalu, the current outbreak’s epicenter, borders with Uganda remain open, and gold mining persists, said Cherubin Kuku Ndilawa, a local civil society leader.

“There’s no panic, daily life continues, but awareness is spreading,” Ndilawa said, noting that a lack of public handwashing facilities complicates outbreak control.

Dr. Didier Pay, a former official at the Mongbwalu General Hospital, reported treating around 30 Ebola patients and mentioned the death of a local medical student on Wednesday morning.

“Efforts are underway to construct a treatment center,” he informed.

Health experts point to the delayed discovery of the virus and extensive population movements in impacted areas as exacerbating factors. Portions of eastern Congo, held by armed rebels, further restrict aid delivery.

Congo confirmed the first Ebola death on April 24 in Bunia, yet the confirmation came weeks later. The body was traced back to Mongbwalu, a densely populated mining zone.

“This significantly worsened the outbreak,” acknowledged Congo’s Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba.

Dr. Anne Ancia, WHO’s team lead in Congo, indicated that the “patient zero” remains unidentified, and substantial work lies ahead, emphasizing that funding cuts have “severely impacted humanitarian efforts.”

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated on Tuesday that the Trump administration is committed to supporting Ebola response efforts, prioritizing the establishment of 50 emergency clinics. To date, the U.S. has contributed $13 million, with more aid anticipated.