many questions after the incursion of an armed group into Lubumbashi

How have hundreds of Mayi-Mayi entered Lubumbashi, and why did no force oppose Bakata Katanga for several hours? The questions abound after the bloody intrusion led by these Katangese separatists, and this while the authorities in Kinshasa are surrounded by silence.

- Advertisement -

For many lush residents, there is a dysfunction in the police hierarchy. The deputy provincial commissioner in charge of the operations and the intelligence service have been out of action for a long time, condemns human rights activist Timothée Mbuya.

Associate activist Georges Mawine evokes in him the inadequacy of the staff truly deployed on the ground in the context of the information. According to him, almost 1,600 police officers ensure the protection of mining sites against a payment paid monthly by the mines to the head of this body. A very lucrative activity for security forces officials who indulge in it testifies to many other Lushois.

No comments from the authorities

The second question asked is the identity itself weekend attackers most recent. Thierry Mukelekele, a regular in the Bakata Katanga maquis, confirms with his hand on his heart that Gédéon Kyungu Mutanga is not associated with this adventure. The marks found on the ground prove it, said this communications officer for MIRA, Gideon’s party.

According to him, who in March had rejected those who manipulated him to take advantage of his activities, the leader of Bakata Katanga is now in talks about his surrender. Gédéon Kyungu Mutanga wanted revelations, says Thierry Mukelekele.

Contacted by RFI, the provincial commissioner of the Haut-Katanga police has not yet responded to our requests. Still, the toll for Saturday’s attack in Lubumbashi is very heavy: about twenty dead, mostly attackers, several policemen were also killed.

As you can see, the weapons presented are very small amounts of weapons. More than less 300 people came, including women and children. But these people had no more than 100 weapons. These are AK-47s [fusil d’assaut]. Now we have heard the detonation of shells, heavy weapons, which just means that the force used was disproportionate. Before the security forces continued with the attack, they nevertheless asked for some sort of injunction, asking these rebels to lay down their arms and surrender. According to the information we received, they refused to lay down their arms and surrender, and unfortunately they responded. But what is true is that we are dealing with a less professional army, because if our army were professional, we could easily subject these people without causing so much harm to human life. It’s really unfortunate what happened.

Timothée Mbuya, President of Justicia ASBL, an NGO based in Lubumbashi


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More