Search operations continue after Andrew’s release from police custody
LONDON — Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was released under investigation Thursday after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, as detectives said they will continue searches at his former home in Berkshire. The development follows the release of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein and marks the first time in modern history that a senior royal has been arrested.
Andrew was held in custody for around 11 hours before Thames Valley Police released him under investigation. The force said searches at a property in Norfolk — his home on the Sandringham Estate — have concluded, while inquiries linked to a property in Berkshire are ongoing.
- Advertisement -
He was photographed looking drained in the back of a vehicle as he left Aylsham police station in Norfolk and later returned to Sandringham, his car passing a line of waiting journalists.
The arrest came after Thames Valley Police said it was reviewing allegations stemming from emails made public by the U.S. Department of Justice. The files appeared to show Andrew sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with Epstein in 2010.
One email, dated November 2010, appeared to be forwarded by Andrew five minutes after being sent by his then-special adviser Amir Patel. Another, on Christmas Eve 2010, appeared to show Andrew sent Epstein a confidential brief on investment opportunities tied to the reconstruction of Helmand province in Afghanistan.
Andrew has denied wrongdoing over his links to Epstein but has not directly addressed the latest allegations.
It is understood that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace had been informed before the arrest on Thursday morning. The Home Secretary, however, was alerted shortly before Andrew was taken into custody.
Thames Valley Police denied briefing the Home Office ahead of time, and the National Police Chiefs’ Council issued a statement clarifying that it had provided the routine notice. “In line with routine practice, the National Police Chiefs’ Council alerted operational colleagues within the Home Office of the arrest. This gave 30 minutes’ notice before Thames Valley Police made the arrest,” the NPCC said.
At around midday, King Charles issued a statement backing the investigation. He said the police “have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation,” adding: “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.” The monarch continued with scheduled duties, holding ambassadorial in-person audiences in the Throne Room at St. James’s Palace. While arriving at an engagement on the Strand in central London, he did not respond to questions about his brother. The Prince and Princess of Wales are understood to support the King’s statement.
U.S. President Donald Trump called the arrest “very sad,” adding: “I think it’s so bad for the royal family.”
Andrew served as the United Kingdom’s special representative for international trade and investment beginning in 2001. He stepped down in 2011 amid the furore over his friendship with Epstein.
The police review centers on whether Andrew, while holding public responsibilities, shared sensitive information with a convicted sex offender, according to the emails cited. Misconduct in public office is a common law offense that can encompass abuses of power or breaches of duty by a public office holder.
As detectives continue to examine the material and search properties linked to Andrew, the investigation remains active. Thames Valley Police have not provided a timetable for next steps. Andrew has not been charged and remains under investigation.
By Abdiwahab Ahmed
Axadle Times international–Monitoring.