Israel detains president’s sister among people aboard ship
The group has shared videos of Dr Connolly and five others that appear to have been recorded before their detention.
At least six Irish citizens, including Dr Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly, were aboard an aid flotilla detained by Israel, according to organisers.
They said the vessels were intercepted about 70 nautical miles off Cyprus.
- Advertisement -
The Global Sumud Flotilla said contact has been lost with the boats that were stopped.
The group has shared videos of Dr Connolly and five others that appear to have been recorded before their detention.
“I am deeply honoured to be part of this flotilla – the largest one so far.”
Speaking to TG4, President Catherine Connolly said the incident took place in international waters.
“It’s very distressing, and I’m extremely worried about her, and I’m also deeply concerned about her colleagues on board,” she said.
President Connolly said that, because of her “very busy” schedule during her official visit to England, she “hadn’t really had a chance to get details” about her sister or the others travelling with the flotilla.
Dr Margaret Connolly was among six Irish citizens detained, flotilla organisers said
Earlier, Israel’s foreign ministry said on social media that it would not permit any attempt to breach its naval blockade of Gaza.
As Israeli military vessels moved to intercept the flotilla, the Global Sumud Flotilla called for safe passage for what it described as its “legal, non-violent humanitarian mission”.
It urged governments around the world to intervene and halt what it said were illegal acts of piracy by Israel.
Karen Moynihan, who heads the Irish delegation to the flotilla but is not on board, said 15 Irish citizens are sailing as part of the mission.
Watch: Moment Israeli forces boarded one of aid flotilla vessels
Organisers said they could not confirm how many, if any, of the Irish participants had been on ships that were intercepted.
Ms Moynihan called on the Irish Government to condemn the interception and to demand safe passage for those on board, saying they were legally entitled to sail in those waters.
Flotilla organisers also released video footage showing boats moving towards their vessels.
One of the videos included Irish citizen Mikey Cullen.
Ships in the Global Sumud Flotilla had departed for a third time on Thursday from southern Turkey, after previous efforts to bring aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.
In its statement, Israel also urged “all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately”.
The previous flotilla had left Spain on 12 April.
Israeli forces intercepted vessels in that group as well, taking more than 100 pro-Palestinian activists to Crete and detaining two others in Israel.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Additional reporting by Conor Hunt, PA and Reuters