White House presses Iran on deal as Trump signals possible U.S. strikes

White House warns Iran to ‘be wise’ and take deal as U.S. weighs strikes, bolsters forces

The White House urged Iran to “be wise” and strike an agreement with the United States as Washington readies military options and builds up forces near Iran, even as Oman-mediated talks resume in Geneva. U.S. forces could be prepared to launch strikes as early as this weekend, CNN and CBS reported, though President Donald Trump has not made a final decision.

- Advertisement -

“Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration,” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters, signaling that diplomacy remains on the table amid escalating military postures.

Trump also warned Britain against ceding sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, arguing that the U.S. air base at Diego Garcia might be needed if Tehran refuses a deal “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime.”

The renewed urgency follows the collapse of a previous negotiation attempt after Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran last June, triggering a 12-day war. The United States briefly joined those operations to bomb Iranian nuclear sites, according to the prior account of events.

Tehran’s top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, said Iran is “drafting” an initial framework for future talks and that the two sides had agreed on “guiding principles” during a second round of indirect, Oman-mediated negotiations Tuesday in Geneva. U.S. Vice President JD Vance, however, said Iran has not yet accepted all of Washington’s red lines.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted “we do not want war” but suggested Tehran would not capitulate. “If they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” he said.

Araghchi also held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Iran’s Foreign Ministry said Araghchi emphasized drafting “an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks.” Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the U.N. watchdog of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.

On the military front, Washington has ordered a second aircraft carrier to the region. Satellite images showed the USS Abraham Lincoln and its roughly 80 aircraft positioned about 700 kilometers off Iran’s coast as of Sunday, underscoring the Pentagon’s effort to deter Tehran while diplomacy continues.

Iran has answered with displays of force. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps began a series of war games Monday in the Strait of Hormuz, the critical chokepoint for global oil and gas shipments. Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the strait in a conflict, and state television said Tuesday that parts of the waterway would be closed for safety during the drills.

The talks are aimed at averting a direct U.S.-Iran confrontation, with Tehran seeking relief from U.S. sanctions that have throttled its economy. Iran says discussions should focus strictly on the nuclear file, while Washington has previously pushed to include Tehran’s ballistic missile program and its support for armed groups across the region.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump has been briefed on military options “designed to maximize damage,” including a campaign to kill scores of Iranian political and military leaders with the stated goal of toppling the government, according to unnamed U.S. officials. CNN and CBS said the Pentagon could be ready to strike within days, but emphasized that no order has been given.

U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright, speaking in Paris on the sidelines of International Energy Agency meetings, said Washington would prevent Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon “one way or the other.” He added: “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable.”

With forces massing at sea, drills tightening around the world’s most sensitive waterway, and negotiators in Geneva, the window for a diplomatic off-ramp appears narrow — and increasingly urgent.

By Abdiwahab Ahmed
Axadle Times international–Monitoring.