Gunman continues fatal shooting at US Walmart

Seven people were killed and several wounded in a shooting at a Walmart in Chesapeake, Va., on Tuesday night, authorities said, just days after a gunman killed five and injured 17 at an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado.

- Advertisement -

The city of Chesapeake confirmed the deaths in a tweet early Wednesday, citing city police.

In an initial update, police had said they believed fewer than 10 people had been killed, according to public information officer Leo Kosinski.

At the time, police were still searching for victims, who could be injured or inside the “very large” store with many hiding places, he said.

“We want to make sure everyone is held accountable,” he said.

He added that police believed there was only one shooter who had been killed.

The police have so far not released any details about the suspected shooter, but several media outlets have identified him as the manager of the store. Kosinski said police did not know if the shooter was employed by Walmart.

Police were unclear if the shooter died of self-inflicted injuries. They believed the shooting happened inside the store, but said a body was found outside.

Kosinski also said no shots were fired at police “to his knowledge.” “I think the shooting had stopped by the time the police arrived.”

Tuesday’s bloodshed was the latest episode of gun violence in the United States that has fueled debate over tighter restrictions on gun access.

A news conference in response to the Walmart shootings will be held at 8 a.m. local time on Wednesday, the city of Chesapeake said on Twitter.

Walmart said in a statement early Wednesday that it was “shocked” by the violence and was working closely with law enforcement.

A spokesperson for Sentara Norfolk General Hospital told television station WAVY that five patients were being treated there.

“Sickened by reports of yet another mass shooting, this time at a Walmart in Chesapeake. I will be following developments closely,” Virginia Sen. Mark Warner tweeted Wednesday.

The police department did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for further comment.


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept

Privacy & Cookies Policy