Somalia Suspends Egypt Travel Clearance System After Passenger Complaints

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Immigration and Citizenship Agency said Somali nationals traveling to Egypt will, effective May 24, 2026, need to obtain a formal visa from the Egyptian consulate before departing.

Somalia Suspends Egypt Travel Clearance System After Passenger Complaints
Somalia Axadle Editorial Desk May 24, 2026 1 min read
Article text size

MOGADISHU, May 24, 2026 — Somalia has moved to halt the “OK-to-Board” travel clearance system for citizens heading to Egypt, a step officials said was prompted by a wave of passenger complaints and recent travel disruptions.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Immigration and Citizenship Agency said Somali nationals traveling to Egypt will, effective May 24, 2026, need to obtain a formal visa from the Egyptian consulate before departing.

- Advertisement -

The agency said the decision came after multiple complaints and a string of problems involving Somali travelers seeking entry into the North African country in recent days.

Officials characterized the suspension of the “OK-to-Board” arrangement as temporary and said Somalia remained committed to preserving its long-running ties and travel cooperation with Egypt.

The agency advised Somali travelers to contact the Egyptian consulate and secure the required visa before making any travel plans.

The announcement followed reports that at least 35 Somali passengers had been stuck for two straight nights at Cairo International Airport, with some alleging they were mistreated by airport authorities.

Several passengers said on social media that their passports were taken from them and that they were not allowed either to enter Egypt or to leave the airport.

AXADLETM