Soldier from Somalia handed a 5-year sentence for the fatal shooting of Kenyan engineer

Soldier From Somalia Handed A 5-year Sentence For The Fatal Shooting Of Kenyan Engineer

By Edwin Austin
Tuesday, August 22, 2023

A court in Mogadishu has handed down a five-year prison sentence to a Somali soldier who killed a Kenyan engineer named Fredrick Owino. The incident occurred on July 20, 2023, at the construction site of Aden Abdulle International Airport. Investigations revealed that Owino lost his life due to a bullet fired from the Somali soldier’s pistol.

Along with the prison term, the court has also instructed the Somali soldier to compensate the engineer’s family, while the specific amount of compensation remains undisclosed for now. This ruling follows the testimonies of Owino’s Kenyan colleagues, which were presented in front of the Armed Forces Court.

“Our past experiences here were peaceful, and we considered each other as friends. We trust in the judicial system and simply seek justice,” the colleagues expressed before the bench.

“His only expected danger was an attack from Al-Shabaab, the Somali militant group. He has left behind a young wife and child,” another witness added.

On July 20, 2023, while carrying out his duties at the construction site, Owino tragically lost his life from a gunshot. The incident arose during a dispute between the Somali soldier and the workers regarding the drainage of wastewater from their construction activities.

Specifically, the argument centered around leaks in the construction, which were causing water to flow towards the area where the Somali soldier was taking a break.

It is believed that the root cause of the conflict was the Somali soldier’s insistence on the workers promptly fixing and sealing these leaks to prevent water from reaching the shaded spot where he was resting.

When the workers failed to comply with his instructions, the agitated Somali soldier cocked his gun and fired a shot, hitting Owino, who was standing in front of the construction site.

Following thorough investigations, the military court’s prosecutor presented the case to the military court on August 14, 2023, aiming to uncover the truth behind the incident.

In front of the military bench, the Somali soldier pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against him.

After considering the witnesses’ testimonies, the military court reached its verdict. The Somali soldier received a five-year prison sentence and was ordered to compensate the deceased engineer’s family.