TPLF: We are fighting for the survival of the Tigray people, we will give peace a try

NAIROBI, (GO) – Tigray People’s Liberation Front [TPLF] has refuted claims that it sacrificed the ideals of the struggle but gave peace a chance after negotiations brokered by the African Union, where a number of community professionals expressed dissatisfaction with the process.

On Monday, the second phase of talks involving commanders from both divisions met in Nairobi, where they are expected to formulate the best disarmament strategy as part of the initial agreement in South Africa, where the talks were held.

- Advertisement -

Getachew Reda, spokesperson of the TPLF, claimed that agreements signed by his team will always consider the people of Tigray. According to the hardline spokesperson, peace is what the people of Tigray need now.

“Everything we do, every movement we make or every agreement we sign is driven by the need to ensure the interest of the people of Tigray. Peace is what our people need more than anything else. Whether we will keep our promise in a way that satisfies our people, time will tell,” he said in a tweet.

“We will do whatever it takes to protect our people who have suffered beyond what ordinary mortals can endure. We are not fighting because we are a trigger-happy nation but because our survival as a people is at stake,” he added. “If a peace treaty can ensure our survival, why not give it a try?”

A number of Tigray people have expressed dissatisfaction with the peace talks process, with a number of them claiming that the negotiating team has been compromised to accept a “raw deal”. However, some believe that the progress made so far is significant in restoring peace.

The fighting started in November 2020, with a number of insiders saying that thousands of people have been killed and millions displaced. There have been concerns over humanitarian access, with stakeholders accusing Ethiopian and Eritrean troops of imposing blockades in the Tigray region.

The international community has demanded the immediate withdrawal and release of Eritrean troops from Tigray, but this directive has not yet been followed. Redwan Hussien, national security adviser to Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, confirmed that humanitarian access is being discussed in Nairobi.

“The peace agreement TPLF and FDRE signed a few days ago says that military commanders would meet within five days. Today is the fifth day, and the commanders’ meeting has started in Nairobi. It guarantees security and accelerates humanitarian flow to areas that have been inaccessible so far,” he said.

AXADLE

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept

Privacy & Cookies Policy