The motive remains to be unknown, however the assault in central Oslo is being investigated as an extremist Islamist terrorist act by the Norwegian police.
Several of these interviewed by TT in Oslo are apprehensive that the crime, like what occurred in France after the terrorist assault in 2015, may ignite Islamophobia and result in better division amongst Norwegians.
Evans – who was on his method across the nook to the pub avenue when the pictures have been fired, and is an everyday on the London Pub – is apprehensive about what is going to occur.
– I take a look at social media and see hatred in the direction of Muslims and folks who strive to divide us. It is troublesome to know what is going to occur, however at the identical time we’re all speaking about solidarity and about holding collectively now, he says.
Evans was on the mourning service within the cathedral, identical to Jan, 62. Both pay tribute to the speeches held within the church, the place cohesion was emphasised.
– The most significant factor is that we get up for one another. Whether the motive was hatred or not. It’s about sticking collectively. We should not let this divide us, says Jan.
Lump in throat
Fredrik, 25, and his brother Joakim, 27, have been additionally on the service.
– I believe, as somebody talked about in certainly one of the speeches, that many Muslims really feel a lump of their throat now. however this just isn’t a few faith, says Fredrik.
– Extremism just isn’t a faith, Joakim provides.
Håvard, 46, says that there’s a threat that the aftermath could have an effect on Muslims usually.
– I see in entrance of me that many wish to strive to make the most of this. Because there are teams in Norway which can be very anti-Islam and this occasion is sweet sufficient as an argument for them. It is a downside that exists right here, he says.
He is assured that the character of the act can be exploited by political events.
– No one is so distasteful that they do it directly, however it can come.
Liv, 37, who would have gone on the prepare along with her spouse, can also be in the identical line. She says that anti-Muslim tendencies exist already in Norwegian society.
TT: Do you’re thinking that this may make political factors?
– Yes. Isn’t that what at all times occurs? she asks rhetorically.
On Saturday, tons of of individuals went out in spontaneous delight parades and defied the police who canceled the official parade. It despatched a powerful sign, however not everybody went. Not everybody dared, after the terrorist assault.
But virtually everybody who’s requested is bound that the subsequent delight parade can be a message of power and that this occasion has made the LGBTQ motion stronger.
– Regardless of whether or not there can be a brand new parade this summer time or subsequent yr, there can be a powerful mark, says Jan.
Kurt, 48, whose buddy was shot however was not current, is in the identical line.
– I believe the parade will solely get greater and stronger subsequent time, he says.