Brazil’s Copa America Squad Stands by Paqueta Amid FA Charges

The FA recently accused Lucas Paqueta of breaking betting rules in 2022-2023, but the CBF said he will stay in Brazil’s Copa America team despite that.

Last August, the FA started investigating suspicious betting activity involving Paqueta. In March, he said he was cooperating with the FA’s inquiry.

The allegations against Paqueta claim he purposely tried to get booked in four Premier League matches, resulting in charges being laid out last week.

Paqueta has until June 3 to respond to the accusations. He took to social media to assert his innocence and vowed to fight the charges.

After discussions between the CBF and the FA, it was decided that Paqueta will not be removed from the national squad for the upcoming tournament.

The CBF president, Ednaldo Rodrigues, signed a statement saying that Paqueta’s call-up will remain based on the information provided by the FA.

Even though Paqueta has not faced any penalties yet, he is allowed to continue playing professionally for his club and national team, according to the CBF.

The Selecao, nine-time Copa America champions, will start their campaign against Costa Rica on June 24 in Group D.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More