Guinea to prosecute ousted President Alpha Condé for murder

Guinea announced on Wednesday it would prosecute former President Alpha Condé, who was overthrown in a military coup last September, for murder and other crimes committed while in office.

Condé is one of 27 former senior officials prosecuted for “murder, assassination and complicity”, according to a document given to journalists by prosecutor Alphonse Charles Wright.

Other alleged crimes include detention, torture, kidnapping, disappearance, rape and other sexual abuse, and looting.

The list of names includes a former president of the constitutional court, former speakers of parliament, a former prime minister and numerous former ministers, lawmakers and heads of security services.

In a message to AFP, Wright, who was appointed by the junta, said the lawsuits were launched following a complaint filed by the National Front for the Defense of the Constitution (FNDC), a group coordinator who had led protests against Condé.

Condé, 84, was ousted by mutinous soldiers amid anger after his successful bid for a third term.

In 2010, he became the first democratically elected president in the history of this West African country.

But his popularity plunged during his second term as critics accused him of authoritarianism and opposition protests were violently suppressed.

Tension has escalated in the blood as the October 2020 elections approach.

The vote, boycotted by most of the opposition, followed a contentious referendum on constitutional change months earlier.

Critics said Conde was limited to two terms under the constitution, but he argued that changing the constitution meant the time had been reset.

He was deposed last year by army officers led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, a former special forces commander.

Doumbouya has since been sworn in as interim president and implemented a crackdown on alleged corruption in the former regime.

Condé’s future became a major issue between the junta and the regional bloc ECOWAS after the coup.

He was first detained and then allowed to travel to the United Arab Emirates for medical treatment in January, before returning home on April 10.

On April 22, the junta said it informed “national and international opinion that the former president of the republic is finally free”, a claim disputed by Condé’s Rassemblement du peuple guinéen (RPG).

(AFP)

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More