Polisario Entrance assaults Western Sahara

Western Sahara’s Polisario front group bombed the Guerguerat buffer zone under Moroccan control in the southern part of the desert area in a night attack. Rabat is described as part of a “propaganda war”.

- Advertisement 1 -

“The Saharawi army launched four rockets in the direction of … Guerguerat”, on the border between Morocco and Mauritania, the Saharawi press agency SPS said in a statement on Sunday, referring to a military leader of the separatist Saharawi forces.

Morocco launched a military operation on November 13 in the buffer zone of Guerguerat, far south of the former Spanish colony, to drive out a group of Saharawi militants blocking a transit route to neighboring Mauritania.

The SPS statement also reported attacks along the security wall that separate Saharawi fighters from Moroccan forces in the vast desert.

“The harassed fire near the Guerguerat area, but it did not ahttps: //www.dailysabah.com/world/mid-east/us-adopts-map-of-morocco-that-includes-disputed-western-saharaffect trunk road was not disturbed “It has been part of a cycle of violations for more than three months,” he said. “There is a desire to create a propaganda war, a media war on” traffic, “said a senior Moroccan official contacted by Agence France-Presse (AFP). the existence of a war in the Sahara, “but” the situation is normal “, he added.

Western Sahara is a disputed and fragmented former Spanish colony, mostly under Moroccan control, where tensions with the Algerian-backed movement have been simmering since the 1970s. In November, Morocco sent troops to a UN-patrolled buffer zone to open a new road leading to Mauritania.

The Polisario Front responded by declaring a ceasefire in 1991 invalid and claiming that the road had not existed when the ceasefire was signed. The two sides are reported to have since exchanged regular fire along the boundary line.

UN-backed ceasefire agreements were intended to lead to a referendum on self-determination. Morocco has offered the territory autonomy but claims that the territory is a sovereign part of the empire.

UN-led talks with Morocco and the Polisario Front, with Algeria and Mauritania as observers, have been suspended since March 2019.

The Polisario Front, which fought for an independent war from Morocco from 1975 to 1991, said it was still willing to join UN talks on the future of the territory – but would not lay down its arms.

“In the past, we put all our trust in the international community and definitely ended our armed struggle,” senior Polisario security chief Sidi Ould Oukal said on Tuesday. “We have been waiting for 30 years. Thirty years of broken promises, preventive and unsustainable waiting.”

Ould Oukal insisted that the group was “open to possible mediation.” “But at the same time, we will continue the armed struggle, based on past experience,” he said.

For its part, Morocco’s position was strengthened last year by the United States’ recognition of its sovereignty over the entire disputed territory and broke decades of precedent. The move came under President Donald Trump in exchange for Rabat normalizing relations with Israel.

Trump announced on December 10 that the United States would recognize Morocco’s claim to Western Sahara as part of an agreement that the North African country would normalize relations with Israel. The Trump administration had given priority to securing such deals between Arab states and Israel, including four with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Sudan and Morocco.

The US decision to recognize Moroccan sovereignty over Western Sahara has drawn criticism from the UN as well as American allies in Africa and beyond. African observers have said it could destabilize the wider region, which is already battling insurgency and human trafficking, the Associated Press (AP) reported.

.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More