#Sudan: the ruling generals ready to negotiate with the protest


The ruling generals in Sudan announced on Friday that a new transitional initiative by the mediators from Ethiopia and the African Union could serve as a basis for resuming negotiations with the protest.

Negotiations between the protest and the Transitional Military Council, which has ruled the country since the dismissal in April of President Omar al-Bashir, must draw the future transition period after 30 years of authoritarian rule.

Talks were halted in May, and Ethiopia is playing the role of mediator to revive them. However, the Military Council asked Addis Ababa to review its initial plan by drafting a “joint document” with the African Union (AU).

“The Military Council is ready to negotiate immediately and seriously.”

Even though the Transitional Military Council has some “observations, as a whole it is a valid proposal for negotiations in order to reach a final agreement on the formation of transitional power institutions”, announced the door Council Spokesman, General Chamseddine Kabbachi, in an address on public television, referring to the new Ethiopia-AU plan.

The Alliance for Freedom and Change ( ALC ), the spearhead of the challenge, has not yet decided on the initiative. She announced Thursday that she had received the transition plan, noting that she had yet to review it.

The new plan, still provides for a transitional body consisting of eight civilians and seven military. Of the eight civilians, seven are believed to be from LAC , while the latter is chosen by both sides.

This body will be chaired by one of the military for 18 months, before a civilian takes over until the end of the transition, which must last a total of three years, according to the document.

The new text presents a major difference compared to the previous version. It no longer refers to the 67% quota allocated to the LAC in the Legislative Council, which will act as a transitional Parliament.

This percentage had been accepted by both parties before the negotiations broke off on May 20, but it has been criticized in recent weeks by the military council, which called for its revision.

The leaders of the protest called for mass mobilization on Sunday. This is the first call of this magnitude since the bloodshed on June 3 of a sit-in of protesters installed in front of army headquarters in Khartoum for weeks.

At least 128 people were killed in the operation and the crackdown that continued the following days, according to doctors close to the protest. The authorities mentioned a death toll of 61.



This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More